Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Best Thing We Ever Did


Financially speaking, anyway, the best piece of advice we ever listened to was Dave Ramsey's suggestion of a $1,000 emergency fund. It wasn't easy to come up with that money in the first place, believe me. It came a little at a time, from expenses we cut back here and there, things like life insurance, changing our student loan repayment plan, cutting back on groceries, and cashing out savings bonds.

But that $1,000 emergency fund has been the difference between needing a credit card and not.  In fact, I firmly believe that it just being there keeps away emergencies, honestly.  In 2009, we used it four times, and paid it back almost immediately each time:

1) To cover my braces until my Flex check arrived.
2) To buy a deep freeze.
3) To fix the van.
4) To cover $200 of the roof repair we couldn’t save in time.

Whether any of those things were real emergencies was debatable, I guess, but to us, they were. (The freezer, especially, you may not understand, unless you know what a "freezer supply" is and how very important it is.)

I guess my point is that, while $1,000 in the bank may seem impossible, imagine how quickly you could come up with it if you didn't have a credit card payment. And how if you had it, you wouldn’t need a credit card payment.

Just sayin'.

Have a gluten-free day!

2 comments:

Julia Gaynor said...

Tenille,

Hi there. I write savings tips and articles for a savings website called www.eversave.com and I love the budget tips you have for eating gluten-free.

I'd love to feature some of your tips (with a link back to your blog of course!) in an upcoming article that would also be emailed. We have a huge email subscriber list and membership base so it would be pretty great exposure for your blog...

I couldn't find a way to email you so this comment was the only way I could contact you. Can you please send me an email at jgaynor@eversave.com?

Thanks!

Best,

Julia

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,酒店,

Blog Widget by LinkWithin