Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Dinner Update

Breakfast Casserole

Canola spray (?)
Frozen hash browns - I like the regular Southern style, though I think the original recipe called for the ones that include peppers and onions (.50?)
Eggs - maybe 6 for a square dish, a dozen for the lasagna dish, however big that is, I am NOT at all good at size/shape concepts. We actually only had 3 eggs left, so that's what I used last night. (.36)
Breakfast meat of some variety - I used ham, because we eat a lot of ham, because we're "healthy" that way (.50)
Shredded cheddar (1.00)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray dish with canola spray. Cover bottom of dish with hash browns. Pour beaten eggs over top. Sprinkle meat on top of that. Sprinkle cheese on top of that. Bake until eggs are set. I swear it takes longer every time I make this. The original recipe called for like 20 minutes, but I crossed that out and wrote 40 minutes. But last night, it actually took more like 50. Yarg.

This recipe also included the note "reheats beautifully." I think that's kind of funny and I giggle about it every time I make it. It's true though, it does reheat rather attractively.

Anyway, Total: $2.36 Again, we're trying to eat our way out of a house that seems to made entirely of cantaloupe.

Which reminds me, today was our first day to bring treats to preschool. I really hope the parents don't mind that their kids will be coming home covered in watermelon stains. Oops.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I would be so completely thrilled if other parents at my kids' schools brought fruit for snacks rather than some high fructose/partially hydrogenated junk. T.H.R.I.L.L.E.D.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin