Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Budget Update - What Went Wrong

So. Three days until pay day. Zero dollars in envelopes (except travel, which we haven't touched).

We've actually been able to maintain our savings, so far.

I think two things happened this pay period:
1. Medical expenses. While we're reimbursed for the medical expenses that insurance doesn't cover through my flex program, it takes about a week. During that time, we have to float the expense in our budget. It comes out okay in the end, but it makes for some tricky organization during the wait. I'd like to build up about $100 in a medical float account for this, and am working on it!

2. Eating out. The truth is that we just can't afford to eat out, and we decided to do it anyway. Though I have to admit that the 2-for-1 burger night and the happenstance of a celiac waitress (who got a very nice tip for making sure our kids got GF food!), was worth it! As we're able, I'd like to build a bit more into the budget for this kind of family outing.

In some ways, a budget that is too restrictive is just too hard to maintain for a long time, so I'd like to find a way to loosen the budget just a bit. However, in other ways, I think that it's just easier to get used to it than to fight it. For example, it's been hard for me to spend this clothing budget, because it's hard to go out and "spree" shop, then go back to being really strict with money.

I did spend some of the budget, though, on the following, at Target:

1 black basic cami, with shelf bra: $8.99
Ditto in white: $8.99
1 bra: $10.99
Fall jacket: $24.99 (this really felt like too much of a splurge, but I really love it)

4 comments:

Meredith said...

I know it's tough those last few days until payday! Hang in there!

Jennifer said...

You have to splurge sometimes, though. You just have to. (In other words, enjoy the jacket!)

zdoodlebub said...

Jackets are important. But I know how it feels to spend more than $19.99 on any one item of clothing...extravagant!

Tread Softly said...

Especially as a mom it's important to recognize when spending is and isn't appropriate. Myself and at least three friends experience immense guilt whenever buying clothing, possibly because our parents never made such "frivolous" spending a priority.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin