Friday, October 5, 2007

Dinner Update - Crockpot Roasted Chicken and Garlic Primavera Risotto

Yesterday, I had planned to throw a chicken in the crockpot at lunch. But I forgot. So I had to call SuperDad and ask him, very sweetly, if he could do it while the kids napped. But see, SuperDad? Doesn't really love touching the raw meat. I tell him that no one does, you just get used to it. But he says, no, no really. It's gross. Well, that's true.

1 whole chicken (3.19), rinsed and checked to make sure nothing weird was hiding inside

lots of spices like salt and pepper and paprika and onion powder and garlic and whatnot, mixed and rubbed onto chicken (.25?)

Put three balls of foil on the bottom of the crock pot. Place chicken on top, breast side up. Have small marital disagreement about what is the breast and what is the back. Realize you are wrong, but do not admit it. Do not add liquid.

Cook on HIGH for 3 hours. According to the recipe, cooking it on low for twice as long isn't as good. I didn't test this theory. The recipe also said you could put a whole onion in the cavity of the bird. I additionally didn't try this.
We served this with Lundberg's Garlic Primavera Risotto (free sample). I wasn't a huge fan of this, but everyone else ate it, so what do I know?
Right before I took it out to the table, because the risotto directions said to serve it "piping hot" (talk about pressure, right?), I threw some raw carrots on everyone's plate. (.25)
Total: $3.69
I've been doing this for a few months now and I still find it quite amazing that I almost always can feed our family of four dinner for less than $5.00.

4 comments:

zdoodlebub said...

Why the balls of foil? I think I might know, but I'd like to hear it from you!

:)

Unknown said...

Okay, I can't even figure out how to comment on my own blog.

It's so that it "roasts." In theory it gets crispy because it's like dry-baked.

CeliacChick said...

So does it "roast" it? Crispy skin?

Unknown said...

Yes - at least any part that is up out of the liquids. Not nearly as cripsy as like a rotisserie, but there's some definitely crispyness. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin