Friday, October 5, 2007

Alert! Alert! Don't Feed My Child!

This year, E started preschool. And it was the first time she'd ever really been out of our direct control. If I was a kangaroo, my pouch would be so huge because I never let my kids out of it. Anyway.

It's scary sending a gluten intolerant kid out into the world. Once I took her to the natural foods store and she picked up and ate one single piece (flake? oat?) of oatmeal. She reacted for two days. What can I do?

1. I chose a preschool that already has a gluten intolerant child. Experience matters.
2. I talked to the teacher.
3. I sent lots of yummy snacks to school for E so that she always has something safe to eat.
4. I made her a badge. I had intended for her to be able to wear it on her shirt, but that ended up being too cumbersome, and I think, by now, they get the point. So it's attached to her back pack. The badge reads on one side:
Gluten Free Kid - Please don't feed me gluten
And on the other side:
I can't eat barley, bran, bulger, farina, malt, oats, spelt, or wheat.
If you aren't sure, call my:
Mom: ###
Dad: ###

Okay, the actual list is much longer, but these are the things that are most likely to show up. So far, we haven't had a problem, other than skin issues because she's been handling the play-dough. If anyone has a solution for the play-dough issue, I'd love to hear it.

3 comments:

Li & David said...

Some days I wish I had a badge like that - Please don't offer me food! I get tired of saying no! :)

I don't have kids, but I know there's a recipe for gluten free playdo out there. Try the one at www.gluten.net/recipes, look under Especially For Kids. I haven't made the playdo, but the other recipes I've tried from that site have been good.

Milehimama said...

Send gloves or try these:

White Dough

Mix:
• 1 cup cornstarch
• 2 cups baking soda
• 1 1/4 cup water

Bring to a boil over medium heat in a non-stick pan stirring constantly. Thicken to the consistency of mashed potatoes. Store n fridge until ready to use.

Gluten-Free Playdough

• 1/2 cup rice flour
• 1/2 cup cornstarch
• 1/2 cup salt
• 2 tsp. cream of tarter
• 1 cup water
• 1 tsp. cooking oil
• food coloring

Combine all ingredients, except food colouring in a medium saucepan. Over low heat cook for three minutes stirring constantly or until mixture forms a ball. Allow the mixture to cool and add in desired food colouring.

My son can't have food colorings or certain other additives - I get sooo tired of dealing with his reactions (sometimes for days) because someone wanted "to be nice" and gave him a lollipop or stick of gum. Then they send home bad behavior reports because he doesn't pay attention in math when they are using M*M's as counters...

You might also want to know that GeorgiaPacific toilet paper is no longer gluten-free (they supply a lot of schools).

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,酒店,

Blog Widget by LinkWithin