Friday, November 9, 2007

Dinner Update

Porcupine Meatballs

3/4 c. milk (.15)
1/2 c. rice (.05)
1 lb. ground beef (2.54)
diced onion
1 t baking powder
salt and pepper to taste (.25 for all?)

Combine milk and rice in saucepan; bring to boil. Simmer until milk is absorbed. Add meat, onion, baking powder, salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly. Roll into small balls. (This is the part where E says, "Eww. I don't like this on my hands. I don't want to help you anymore. Can we just eat chips?") Place in baking dish (I put half in a casserole with a glass lid and half on a cookie sheet with aluminum foil - I definitely reccomend the cookie sheet); cover. Bake at 350°F for 20 to 30 minutes.

This recipe is from the "Caring and Cooking for the Hyper-Active Child." I don't own this book, but I probably should.

We served this with leftover baked beans (?), peas (.45), and a couple of tortilla chips, as requested (.05).

Total cost: $3.49
Verdict: Pretty good. It was a little bland for me, so I dipped the meatballs in some (local!) barbeque sauce.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

This may be a supid question but, uh, where is the "Porcupine" part of the recipe? I'm only seeing "Meatball". ?? ;)

Jenn said...

The rice is what gives it the "porcupine" appearance....


Jenn

Unknown said...

I used to make these ALL the time when I was a teenager and first using a pressure cooker making dinner for the family (a job I basically loved ;).

The porcupine meatballs turn out AMAZING in a pressure cooker - the suction brings out the rice really well. A definite hit with kids!

I don't have a pressure cooker anymore....do you?

Thanks for this...I will work on a dairy free recipe for myself...it's been MANY years since I had these.

I remember the recipe I used with that pressure cooker was tomato based...but I don't eat those either.

Thanks again!

Great blog too btw. I was delighted to see that you've referenced Cream Hill Estates (but these oats are frightfully expensive and not organic.....).

Unknown said...

Hi Orla! My daughter was also allergic to tomato when she was little. She can tolerate it now, but isn't fond of the taste anyway.

Pressure cookers scare me a little! I've never used one.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin