Thursday, January 8, 2009

Gluten Free Slow Cooker Fiesta Tamale Pie




Party Pie! In the... crockpot? It can't be! Yet it is!


We really liked this. And I think we'll like it even more next time I make it in the all-new, not cracked and old and uneven-heating slow cooker SuperDad bought me for Christmas. Awww... love!


3/4 c yellow corn meal (.15)

1 c beef broth (.25 if using bouillion)

1 lb. ground beef (we almost always use ground turkey for everything - (1.78)

1 t chili powder (.05)

1/2 t ground cumin (.05)

1 jar salsa (2.00)

1 can corn, drained (.50)

2 oz. reduced fat shredded cheddar (.75)


In a large bowl, mix corn meal and broth. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in beef, chili powder, cumin, salsa, and corn. Pour into 3 1/2 quart slow cooker. (Mine is 4? And also 2! And also 6! The awesome, you can smell it, right?) Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours or until set. Sprinkle cheese on top. Serve.

We served with lettuce salad (.25?). Total cost = $5.78.

7 comments:

Li loves David said...

Yay for slow cookers! And this recipe looks great, I can practically smell it. I bet I can replace the salsa (nightshades = pain) with chopped onion and more corn. And the chili powder (nightshades again, bleah) with a little more cumin...

I never would have thought of doing something like this in the slow cooker. I think I have dinner planned for the weekend...

Unknown said...

I totally didn't think it would set up into a pie, but it did!

Good luck on replacing those ingredients, I think that would turn out great!

sdantiquer said...

Hi Tenille! I put it together last night and put it in the fridge and then plugged in the crockpot early this morning. Yummy! I ate it with 100 Calorie Dorito chips as more of a chip dip and it was awesome!

I was expecting the corn meal to set up more like a pie, but it didn't. It was very thick, but good! I presumed you browned your burger. I never have been one to put raw hamburger in the oven or crockpot (too much grease in my opinion!).

I found several similar recipes via a Google search and saw some other ideas like onion, pork sausage, etc. Anyway - very good!! Thanks for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

Hi M! I wonder if you left it longer if it would set up? Ours was probably in the crock for more like 9 hours. Not that it would matter much, I'm sure it tastes the same.

Oh yeah, I always brown hamburger first, but I use frozen chicken in the crock quite often. Easy peasy.

huddtoo said...

This sounds good, I bet you could just bake it in the oven too... since my crock pot is buried in storage!! :) Wait...storage = :(

LOL

Reform America said...

How is it without the cheese? I'm GFCF. Sounds tasty but I remember from my non-GFCF past how much cheese can impact the overall taste of something.

Unknown said...

I eat my serving without the cheese for calorie reasons, and it's just fine!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin