Thursday, January 8, 2009

Gluten Free Slow Cooker Fiesta Tamale Pie




Party Pie! In the... crockpot? It can't be! Yet it is!


We really liked this. And I think we'll like it even more next time I make it in the all-new, not cracked and old and uneven-heating slow cooker SuperDad bought me for Christmas. Awww... love!


3/4 c yellow corn meal (.15)

1 c beef broth (.25 if using bouillion)

1 lb. ground beef (we almost always use ground turkey for everything - (1.78)

1 t chili powder (.05)

1/2 t ground cumin (.05)

1 jar salsa (2.00)

1 can corn, drained (.50)

2 oz. reduced fat shredded cheddar (.75)


In a large bowl, mix corn meal and broth. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in beef, chili powder, cumin, salsa, and corn. Pour into 3 1/2 quart slow cooker. (Mine is 4? And also 2! And also 6! The awesome, you can smell it, right?) Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours or until set. Sprinkle cheese on top. Serve.

We served with lettuce salad (.25?). Total cost = $5.78.

8 comments:

Li loves David said...

Yay for slow cookers! And this recipe looks great, I can practically smell it. I bet I can replace the salsa (nightshades = pain) with chopped onion and more corn. And the chili powder (nightshades again, bleah) with a little more cumin...

I never would have thought of doing something like this in the slow cooker. I think I have dinner planned for the weekend...

Tenille said...

I totally didn't think it would set up into a pie, but it did!

Good luck on replacing those ingredients, I think that would turn out great!

sdantiquer said...

Hi Tenille! I put it together last night and put it in the fridge and then plugged in the crockpot early this morning. Yummy! I ate it with 100 Calorie Dorito chips as more of a chip dip and it was awesome!

I was expecting the corn meal to set up more like a pie, but it didn't. It was very thick, but good! I presumed you browned your burger. I never have been one to put raw hamburger in the oven or crockpot (too much grease in my opinion!).

I found several similar recipes via a Google search and saw some other ideas like onion, pork sausage, etc. Anyway - very good!! Thanks for sharing with us.

Tenille said...

Hi M! I wonder if you left it longer if it would set up? Ours was probably in the crock for more like 9 hours. Not that it would matter much, I'm sure it tastes the same.

Oh yeah, I always brown hamburger first, but I use frozen chicken in the crock quite often. Easy peasy.

huddtoo said...

This sounds good, I bet you could just bake it in the oven too... since my crock pot is buried in storage!! :) Wait...storage = :(

LOL

Reform America said...

How is it without the cheese? I'm GFCF. Sounds tasty but I remember from my non-GFCF past how much cheese can impact the overall taste of something.

Tenille said...

I eat my serving without the cheese for calorie reasons, and it's just fine!

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,酒店,

Blog Widget by LinkWithin