Monday, January 21, 2008

Finally - A Dinner Update!

BBQ Chicken
1 lb. chicken breasts ($5.91)
1 c ketchup (? .50)
10 oz. Diet Coke (.50)

I dumped this all in the crockpot at about 10 a.m. yesterday, cooked it on high for 2 hours, then low, and served it shredded at 5 p.m. yesterday. We also had leftover cooked carrots (.35). The kids got GF bread (.50) and we ate it on buns ($1.50).

Total cost: $9.26, with lots of leftovers. This was a pretty expensive meal!
Verdict: This is basically the first time the kids have ever had soda, if this counts. Also, don't tell SuperDad what was in it, because he'd really think it was gross. But, actually, everyone loved this!


Note: Someone at Weight Watchers gave me this recipe.

4 comments:

Mich said...

Hi! I found your blog through Sense to Save (I'm not in the budget challenge, but seriously lurking)...anyhoo, I've got a food allergy kid myself, and I think I'll be making your GF/dairy free/soy free/egg free chicken very soon. It's a great recipe for when chicken breasts go on sale! Looking forward to reading more :)

Unknown said...

Welcome Mich! :)

Li loves David said...

LOL! I love "don't ask, don't tell" recipes! If they only knew...

Tracy Vogel said...

A friend told us about this dish a couple of weeks ago (except their recipe used normal coke instead of diet), we tried it, and it ended up being a BIG HIT in our house.

It's been added to our regular rotation, in fact it's on tomorrow's menu :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin