Saturday, November 3, 2007

Hobo Dinner



Start with one hobo. Or a cute little girl, and call her "Hobo."

3 oz. lean ground beef - if you're me, buy local!



1 t soy sauce (GF)
1 T minced onion
1 medium potato
1/2 c mini carrots

Spray baking pan and preheat oven to 375.

Form beef into patty and place in pan. Sprinkle with soy sauce and season with pepper, garlic powder, and minced onion.

Peel and julienne potato. Place over meat. Cut mini carrots in half lengthwise and arrange over potato. Sprinkle with favorite (I think this is local?) seasoning.



Make as many servings as needed. I used a pound of hamburger (2.99), one giant organic potato (.05), and maybe a 1/4 bag of baby carrots (.35). We could have maybe used more though.

Cook 45 minutes until tender. I served with GF bread (.10) for the kids and some breadsticks we had in the freezer for us.



Someone at Weight Watchers gave me this recipe. Other than the bread, it comes out to about 6 points each. They suggested you could serve it with ketchup on the side for an extra 1/2 point. That's how you know this is South Dakota. Ketchup on everything!

Total cost: $3.49
Verdict: YUM!!!

5 comments:

Lindsey J said...

ketchup DOES belong on everything! :)

I'm curious--have you ever tried putting it in aluminum foil to make packets--for easier clean-up? We're big fan of the potato packets but before I was a vegetarian I remember doing it once with some ground beef (excellent for camping--just throw it on the fire)

That is one cute little Hobo you have ;)

Unknown said...

I haven't tried that, but I thought about how good this would be on the grill as I was making it!

zdoodlebub said...

Woot! Woot! for ketchup!! (NoDak girl, born and raised.) Also lived in Sioux Falls for almost three years. In Montana now. We like our ketchup here, too.

Tread Softly said...

I love ketchup, and am deeply disturbed that I can't find an organic version that tastes as good as generic stuff.
Also, Your new sidebar picture is just too cute.

Carrie said...

oh how i wish we had local meat like this available!! *sigh*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin