Friday, November 16, 2007

Groceries

My budget worked out that I had $60 to buy groceries (which includes everything that we buy, other than gas) this week.

1. I went through my cupboards to see what I had, which was:

  • Spaghetti sauce
  • Ingredients to make bread
  • Pasta and GF pasta
  • Lentils
  • Brown and white rice
  • Cannellini beans
  • Home-canned chili sauce
  • Instant mashed potatoes
  • Shredded cheese
  • Baked beans
  • Ingredients for waffles

So, I centered my menu for this week around that:

  • Spaghetti and toast
  • Lentil/rice chili
  • Mashed potato pups
  • Mac & Cheese and baked beans
  • Waffles and fruit (carryover from last week)
  • Breakfast sandwiches (ditto)

I spent $59.59 at the store last night. But we still need cat litter, which will put us about $5 over budget.

The budget-busters for this shopping trip were:

  • Laundry detergent $4.07
  • Diapers $10.99
  • Baby wipes $5.19

These are things that are cheaper at Wal-Mart. Not a lot cheaper, but maybe enough that I could have bought the cat litter.

I also didn't realize that we're out of both GF waffles and GF cereal for the kiddos, so we'll have to figure something out for breakfast.

That's about it.

3 comments:

Frugal Finds said...

Cat litter and baby wipes are big coupon items!! Make the most of the coupons!! Also.. another alternative to store bought wipes would be making your own for just a few pennies. I am sure you could use google for a good recipe!

Jennifer said...

That seems hugely expensive for baby wipes. At the risk of offering advice when none was asked (*cringe*) have you looked into making your own? It's easy and cheap.

Jennifer said...

Oops, I see that wipes idea was already suggested. Note to self: read other comments first. :) But, yes, coupons, too! And then hold off for a "double coupon" day. Whee!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin