Thursday, December 11, 2008

Making a Gluten Free List, Checking it AGAIN

Weight Watchers recently introduced an all-new program. And with it, is selling all-new materials. I got myself a "Dining Out Companion," which is an updated list of foods offered at major chain restaurants and their POINTS values. I thought I'd go through and highlight everything that was gluten free, as listed on the restaurant's web site. Easy peasy.

Except for something huge that I didn't know (probably all of you know this, but I didn't, maybe someone else doesn't either).

McDonald's and Wendy's fries and hash browns are NOT gluten free! Gulp. (Though Burger King's and Dairy Queen's fries are.)

We'll be switching to Apple Dippers instead of fries, though it may be a tough sell for the kids. It's a sad, sad day at the GFF house, I tell you.

Qdoba has lots of great gluten-free choices, and we've been eating there a lot. Not so much frugal, though. Wendy's is pretty good, what with the chili and baked potatoes and mandarin oranges and yogurt, but without fries? Dairy Queen also seems to be a good option, their burger patties, fries, soft serve, and many of their prepackaged treats are gluten free.

Or, you know, we could be more frugal and just stay home. :)

7 comments:

Carrie said...

lololol... yeah, Wendy's was our dinner last night too... I mean WHY would we stay home??... that would just be down right silly! lololol... We are kindred spirits gal!!

Lindsey J said...

Watch those BK fries -- they're supposed to be GF but they often throw onion rings in their fryer.

We've also had issues with Qdoba but not bad enough that I don't go there anymore (though I was not pleased at the bite of chicken in my vegetarian bowl).

Unknown said...

Honestly, BK here kind of... sucks. Not only is there almost always an onion ring in the fries (which, if you're not GF, you're all, YAY!), but last time they had to try THREE times before they didn't just take the bun off the burger and try to hand it to us. And, of course, they were snotty about it. Ordering food is the #1 thing I hate most about being GF.

Li loves David said...

You know, if I could even eat fries, which I can't, I would buy a whole bag of gluten-free frozen fries, fry them at home, and eat them (all), before I would eat fries at a fast food place again. If I could eat fries. A cheap fryer would probably pay for itself in a short time, and not having the gluten-free ordering hassle is, well, priceless! :) Oh, and don't forget to buy a bag of tater tots...

mamashine said...

We've had the same trouble with the BK fries. If I want fries we go to Chickfila. They don't do onion rings and have a dedicated fryer.

And I think the McD fries USED to be GF- the website says as of November 4 they aren't. Which stinks, because I was eating them before...

Apostle to Suburbia said...

Tenille, thank you for the McD fries info! Well, at least I'll save some money! Because without the fries, who really wants to spend $4 on a bunless happy meal cheeseburger?!

Anyone know of any kind of frozen meatballs that DON'T have wheat in them? I know I can make them myself, but frozen meatballs used to be one of my secret convenience foods and I miss them!

zdoodlebub said...

Qdoba (at least the one here) sends emails and texts to subscribers of their daily specials. It makes it much more reasonable.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin