Friday, September 12, 2008

Best Laid Plans

Remember how I posted our menu earlier this week?

Here's what actually happened:

Sunday: Scrambled eggs, blah blah blah
Monday: Spaghetti and garlic toast (E: What IS THIS on my bread? It's GROSS.)
Tuesday: Macaroni and cheese and baked beans
Wednesday: Scalloped potatoes and ham and pineapple
Thursday: French toast and pineapple and grapes
Friday: ??? Can't have nachos because SOMEONE SUPER ate all the tortilla chips and shredded cheddar. Can't have chicken nuggets because SOME LITTLE CHILDREN ate the chips that go on that.

And here's why. We've been overspending. And the overspending has been dipping into our grocery money. And the groceries haven't lasted the week. And so we eat out. And so we dip into next week's grocery money.

ARGH. Does this happen to everyone?

Trying to get back on track...

7 comments:

Joy said...

I have gotten into that habit these past two weeks. I'm a gf college student, so I'm not on a meal plan and make all my own food. I also have no job, which means that when my roommate and I run out of toilet paper and it's my turn to buy, it comes out of my food money. Plus, I've been buying a lot of soda - have to stop that pronto!

Carrie said...

A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E.L.Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why just this week actually.... lol I totally used up grocery money last week when I was trying to stock up on some groceries with good prices... I have some work to do in that area no doubt about it!!

Li loves David said...

LOL - E with the garlic toast, too funny! She wouldn't survive my house...

When the cupboard is bare here, I make white rice, mix in whatever is in the fridge (or maybe just salt & garlic powder & onion powder). Or eggs - we always have eggs. The benefit of not being able to eat anything? Eating out is NOT an option. :)

Don't worry, you'll get back on track!

Manic Mama said...

Been there... Done that.

We do a major costco run every other week. Generally we get pretty bare in between. I hate those days if trying to figure out what to make!!!

I need to figure out a really tasty gfcf gravy base from Scratch.... Because now I'm sol if we don't have packets or soup on hand.

Cheers!
Jamie

zdoodlebub said...

Since July, I've been trying REALLY HARD to stick to a monthly food budget. Unfortunately, I've been exceeding it by week three. This is with meticulously planned menus and everything - not having meat with every meal, more beans, more potatoes, etc. You know, all the tricks I've read about here and elsewhere. I'm trying REALLY hard.

So. Yeah, I know what you are saying.

Kristen said...

I find that eating out is a vicious cycle. I do it once, and then instead of feeling inspired about cooking, I just feel like eating out again the next night.

Meli n Pat said...

We are on the cash system for lots of stuff, so when the money's out for other stuff, we don't do it. Grocery money doesn't get dipped into - the entertainment money does! Along with the hobby money, household money, vacation account, etc. Not to say that I don't overdo the grocery budget - especially these days! Are sweet peppers massively expensive in the lower 48 too?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin