Wednesday, December 5, 2007

One Final Note on the Local Thing

For those of you just tuning in, November we bought only locally. I knew when I set up my rules, that certain businesses might take exception that I was excluding them because they were chains, even though they are locally owned. I made the decision not to do chains, partially because of that portion of money that leaves our community, and partially because I wanted to experience a world without big-box stores and multi-national chains. I wanted to be forced to go to those businesses that were developed completely from local ideas. The disappearing mom-and-pop business, in other words.

So, I just wanted to mention that, and that now that my month is over, we are very, very excited to add the local bookstore and Taco John's and McDonald's (all locally owned, as I understand) back into my life.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin