Saturday, September 1, 2007

Holla, GF Readers (I'm so sorry I'm such a nerd)

Lyn asked:

I'm curious too as to what brands you get for your GF products? I've not found GF egg noodles yet either. Thanks.

Hmmm. Well, for the most part, we really do try to eat GF in a way that doesn't involve buying GF products, because, for the most part, they kind of taste, um, ewww. And also: $$$$$ But, of course, some products are must-haves. Yesterday I hit the health food store, and this is what I bought:



This haul cost about $20. It hurts my heart a bit, considering everything else I bought to last us the next two weeks, including diapers, wipes, cat food, and kitty litter, cost $105. (Literally - it was $104.97 - is that crazy close to my estimate or what?) Oh well. Such is life.

--We stick to the corn pastas, because they taste the best to us. That probably varies from person to person. Some GF people also have problems with corn, but that hasn't been our experience.

--The cookies are a special treat, and are for E to take to preschool with her. Parents are responsible for bringing the treats, and I want her to have a really good selection on hand in case someone brings cupcakes or something. We always, always keep a bag of Midel animal crackers in the house. Except that we don't have any right now. They are invaluable to us.

--We've found the Ener-G products to be consistently good on the whole. The kids really love these pretzels, and also the round ones with the sesame seeds.

--With cereals, it's often just a matter of a company caring enough to avoid cross-contamination or to leave out the single ingredient that contains gluten, and so every kind we've tried has been good. The kids recently finished off a box of Apple Cinnamon Perky-O's (how's that for a name, right?), and really loved those. Plus, E loved that it felt like they were eating Cheerios like everyone else.

Okay, hope this answered the question - kiddos up from naps, so gotta run!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate you doing all that work, pics and all. I know what you mean about $$ for them though. That's the hard part. It makes a big dent into the budget when you have food allergies, intolerances or a gluten-free diet. I don't know if you have tried Tinkyada pastas - they are pretty good, compared to other rice ones. I like the spaghetti best. I feel for your little one and understand the need to have a treat when everyone at school has theirs. It's hard enough when you're an adult, but I think it's harder for kids.

Anonymous said...

DORA STARS!!! No gluten and no artificial colours. DD loves them. GM also has the Little Einstiens, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Trix GF. If you are okay with oats, we have no problem with oats, there's Kix and Lucky Charms too!

Malt (extract, flavouring) is always the kicker in cereals. Do you realize how many we could have if they would just use corn malt instead?!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin