Thursday, June 4, 2009

Adventures in Gluten-Free Eating

1) I was asked to order from a menu for a catered business lunch. Uh huh, sure. So, in a rare display of uncharacteristic bravery, I called the restaurant and asked annoying and detailed questions about the menu. Result? My Town's Canterbury's turkey and grape salad appears to be on the "safe list." Additionally? Yummy.

2) I'm on an antibiotic. I feel very school-sporty taking these, since they happen to come in my college's school colors. Point? Oh yeah. So I decided to break out the probiotics, and started taking them, only to - gulp - realize they contain wheat. Can anyone suggest a good gluten-free probiotic?

3) We're taking a trip, sometime (she says, mysteriously, hoping no one is stalking her blog just waiting for the right moment to kidnap her morbidly obese cat - who, by the way, if you were wondering, was on his diet about two weeks when he attacked one of the other cats and nearly bit his tail off. Am I kidding about this? I am not. Morbidly Obese Cat - 1 Cat Diet - 0). Where was I? Oh, yes, our mysterious trip. Anyway, I found TWO restaurants there to which I'm thrilled to go. Boston's Gourmet Pizza offers a gluten-free pizza crust (reviews, anyone?) and Buffaloberries, a local place, offers both a gluten-free pizza crust and a gluten-free sandwich bread. Plus, we'll be returning to the Original Pancake House. Yay!

5 comments:

Lindsey J said...

We used Floramore for little t when she had c diff. I got it at iherb.com (and if you use my referral code SEY074 I get some credit!) Fast shipping.

Buffaloberries looks amazing!!!! I think I'm going to have to take a 3+hour lunch today just so I can go there! Thanks for the rec! (ok, I'm not really going there today, but I am going to make a point of going there soon)

The Godfathers on west 41st has gluten-free pizza too. They have pretty strict training on how to properly handle it. It's decent. Tastes like a frozen pizza (because that's basically what it is).

Another rec if you like Mediterranean food would be Sanaa's. You have to tell them that you want the GF because it's not on their regular menu. I've had the Fatayer. http://www.sanaacooks.com/restaurant/ (also, if you follow her blog, she regularly has GF info & recipes)

Unknown said...

So much good info in this comment, Lindsey! Thank you!!

~M said...

I used bio-K to combat a c. diff infection. It is like a bit of liquidy, sour yogurt...I actually liked the way the dairy-fruity one tasted.

Jarrow's acidophilus (aka Jarrowdophilus) comes in blister packs and doesn't need to be refrigerated (it's recommended, but not required). The box is orangy-yellow. The pills are coated so they won't dissolve in your stomach, but rather further down the GI tract.

One thing I heard is that people taking probiotics should switch them up to ensure different kinds of beneficial bacteria are entering their system.

I buy these at Whole Foods.

Karen M said...

I don't do well with supplements and last year could hardly digest anything (after extensive dental work and a course of Abx).

Also, no dairy or soy, but in the Fall I discovered a yogurt made from coconut milk... and it's really delicious. I can get it at Whole Foods, my local health food store, and at some Giant supermarkets.

I highly recommend it. At first, I was in such bad shape that I had to eat one with each meal. I'm trying to cut back now.

Because of the cost, I'm thinking of making my own with the coconut milk that now comes in half gallons and some of the yogurt as a starter.

journeymama said...

Hope you found a good probiotic. The one I found in my drawer says "No gluten, no yeast, no wheat, no sugar, no preservatives, no artificial color or flavor, No sodium or chemical solvents."

Blog Widget by LinkWithin