Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Best Ever Gluten Free Brownies Ever


I can't even find the picture I took of these brownies, but holy heckapowie does D (top, thinking he's a rockstar) look like SuperDad (bottom, wondering if his grandma will still have that flooring in 30 years. Answer = yes.). Am I right?

Recipe adapted from October 2008 issue of Family Fun magazine.

1/4 c brown rice flour
1/4 c tapioca flour
1/3 c cocoa powder
1/2 t baking powder
1/8 t salt
4 T butter
2 ounces/squares bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 lg egg
2 lg egg whites
1 c sugar
1 T canola oil
2 t vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 inch square pan with cooking spray. In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

2. Heat butter in small saucepan, don't burn. Remove pan from heat and add chocolagte, stir until melted. Set aside.

3. In another medium bowl (oh yeah, this recipe will use ALL of your bowls and measuring instruments), lightly whisk the egg and egg whites just until combined. Whisk in the cooled chocolate mixture, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture but do not overmix.

4. Pour into pan. Bake about 30 minutes - toothpick will come out with a few moist crumbs, but brownies will set up as they cool. If they aren't all gone by then. Ahem.

5 comments:

Lindsey J said...

have you found a bittersweet chocolate that is definitely GF? I looked at the store recently and one wasn't labeled either way and the other was produced in a shared facility.

Unknown said...

I haven't seen one labeled as gluten free - I used Baker's semi-sweet chocolate usually, and that's been fine for us.

Kitty said...

I made these today and they were a big hit.
I did however make the following substitutions which worked perfectly so that they would be safe for us.
Coconut oil instead of the butter ( we are casein free and all casein free "butters" here have soy which is also not safe) and instead of 1 cup cane sugar I subbed 1/2 a cup of fructose because we cant do cane sugar.
Perfect serving for 4-5 as an afternoon snack with fruit.

Unknown said...

Ooh! Thanks for sharing those subs, Kitty! My nephew is casein-free, so it's great to know that worked!

Holly said...

I had a chance to make these tonight and they were great! I used unsweetened chocolate, because that's what I had, and half regular and half brown sugar (again - what I had on hand!)

Thanks for the recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin