Thursday, July 3, 2008

Howdy

A) Toys
I am LOVING all these comments about toy storage - keep 'em coming! If my camera lens isn't completely clouded over with embarassment, I'll try to take some before and after photos of what we come up with this weekend.

Stacey has much better kids than mine. Her kids actually *help* her sort out what toys to keep. My house: Moooooommm!!! Noooooo!!!! That's my favorite [piece of junk mail, wheel to car we no longer have, deflated balloon, ripped and stained coloring book page]! You can't throw it away!!! (Insert whining and screaming, mostly by me.)

I love LeeAnn's idea for keeping toys in a separate playroom and storing them in dressers.

We store our art supplies in the kitchen just like Jamie, with parent-only access. Actually, lots of our storage methods sound a lot like Jamie's. Hm.

Lindsey sent me the cuuuutest pics of her kids' rooms, including canvas storage bins, which have been my personal hope and wish for what toy storage could look like at our house.

*I'm noticing that pretty much everyone spent "money" on storage solutions. What, no free, gorgeous, perfect toy storage solutions? ;)

B) Food
A little update on the eating situation. I was averaging a gain of 2.2 pounds a week. Which would put me way over the healthy range to gain during pregnancy. So I've decided to go on a modified version of Weight Watchers' Core program, if you're familiar. (It also somewhat cuts back my intake of wheat, which is probably a good idea.)

Breakfasts have looked like this: Shredded wheat (not frosted, uh), or oatmeal, skim milk, fruit

Lunches: Lettuce salad, carrots, eggs, cottage cheese

Dinners: Lean meat, potato or brown rice, green beans or corn or pineapple or whatever

The "modified" part? The Core plan allows for 35 weekly allowance points to eat things not on the Core list. I'm maybe going to double that or so. I mean, if I want some ice cream I'm going to have some ice cream. Let's not be silly.

Other than my personal cereal choice (unsweetened puffed rice would be fine too), Core is really adaptable to gluten free eating, and I'm eating a lot healthier than usual. I'm on day 5 and overall really happy with how it's working. Of course, I haven't yet seen the scale, so...

3 comments:

Manic Mama said...

Perhaps our shared storage philosophy is why I enjoy following your blog. :)

Some days I feel like a drill sergeant. But sheesh, I just can't handle 10 grubby hands in and out of stuff all the time. It just makes more work for this busy mom!



Cheers!
Jamie

zdoodlebub said...

I just posted to the toy storage idea and within it I kind of addressed how I handle the howls of protest over letting thing go. I wrote that before I even read this post where you stated your frustrations about the process. How awesome am I?

Another thing I do, to let them "say goodbye" to things is to give it a timeframe. "you can play with it for 2 more weeks and then we're giving it to ____." And then keep reminding of the countdown.

Sometimes kids don't notice when toys are gone and sometimes they do. But either way, it's just like teaching them to brush their teeth or eat healthy foods. If we don't make them do it, teach them the process of it, we're not doing them any favors.

zdoodlebub said...

Oh, and I have been known to give in on occasion. If they are willing to give a little on a few items, but feel strongly about a certain toy, they get a fair hearing.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin