Friday, July 11, 2008

Freelance Work

Carrie (This girl can COOK, y'all. If you aren't reading Ginger Lemon Girl, you've gotta start!) asked that I share how I got the part-time, from-home freelance writing work.

So... I hate to even share, because it's one of those stories that just makes you GROAN from the unfairiocity. I am a writer/editor by profession right now, and have been for, oh, seven years. One day I got a phone call from a coworker who knew someone in HR at a large, locally-based business who was looking for someone to write their in-house corporate newsletter. He asked if I would be interested. I said, "Oh hecks yah!" (Or something similar.) They called and asked that I come in for an "interview." I was the only person who interviewed (not that it wasn't nerve-wracking, the interview was like seven corporate guys in way nicer suits than mine, and I was trying the whole time not to morning-sick all over them). I got the job. The end.

Which. Stinks, right? It was one of those "it's who you know" moments.

However, if YOU are looking for freelance writing work, I'd highly recommend the site http://www.freelancewritinggigs.com/category/writing-gigs/, which compiles daily job openings from all over and has a built-in community of freelance writers that offer tips and advice. Though the site is running veeeeery sloooooowly for me right now. Your mileage may vary.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

LOL Oh you are SO right! that was SOOO unfair!! I want an opportunity like that! I really wish I could find part-time writing jobs that would allow me to work from home! I'll keep an eye on the freelance website though! thanks for the info! And I'm glad you were able to get that job! I'm sure you are really good at it!! ;-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin