Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Little House Summer Reading Series

I picked up Little House on the Prairie at the library today. I think the challenge is to take what was great about their lifestyle (simplicity and love and frugality and hard work) and think about how to incorporate that into our everyday lives. How can I do the best by my kids, in a world full of invasive media and junk food and violence and greed?

As for what this has to do with being gluten free? Meh. I don't know, it's my blog, I guess I can do whatever I want. But I think the frugal among us have a good understanding of what it has to do with living a simpler, more abundant, more sustainable life. So there it is.

And... as a reward for those of you who have read this far? Yeah, the baby is a girl. :)

7 comments:

mamashine said...

Girl! Yay!

I think I may read these books too. I tried to read the first one to my five year old over the winter and she wasn't interested, but we do own them all.

Lindsey J said...

Hooray baby girl!! :D

Good for you to read them with soon-to-be 2 girls in your house--I imagine that you'll hear about them again in a few years--good to brush up ;)

MrsMama said...

I'd also highly recommend the "Rose Years" series, by Roger Lea MacBride. You'll hear more about what happened to Laura and Almanzo as they raised Rose. These are great read-alouds.

We had a chance to see where they lived in Missouri and South Dakoda.
http://allastonishment.blogspot.com/2006/07/rocky-ridge-farm.html

Unknown said...

I will definitely check out the Rose Years series - sounds pretty cool!

And not to be all "stalk me" or anything, but I don't live far at all from the South Dakota homestead (well, what's left).

Sarah said...

Congratulations on the girl! How exciting!

zdoodlebub said...

Congratulations!

(So will it be Layla?)

;)

Frugal Finds said...

AAAwwwwwwww... a baby girl!! Congrats!
Frugal Carol

Blog Widget by LinkWithin