Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Minivan Driver


So we bought a minivan yesterday. This one right here.

I think we got a great deal - it's older, a 2001, but with only 28,000 miles on it. The final negotiated price was $8,500 - of which we had $4,785 in cash (thank you, tax return). The rest came from our home equity line of credit. I know, I know, but I think we can have it paid off in the next couple of months, since:

  • We still have one of our cars to sell for $3,000-$3,500 (you want a slightly used Dodge Stratus, don't you, yes you do! Haven't you always wanted to shout, "I drive a Dodge Stratus!"? Yes, yes you have wanted that.)
  • We'll hopefully be getting a $1,200 tax rebate in Mayish?
This will melt the debt snowball a bit, but I'm thrilled with the purchase, I feel like we have a real handle on a short-term debt, and I think we've got something reliable to transport our whole family.

Yay!

9 comments:

zdoodlebub said...

Double Yay! Congrats on the new wheels!

huddtoo said...

Congrats on the new ride! I think you guys did great. It looks like it's in great shape, has very low mileage, and for a good price, that you can pay off quickly!

Kudos to you guys for keeping your budget in check!!

Super Heather - aka Mom said...

Actually, your tax refund in May will be $1800 because as a married couple you get $1200 + you get $300 for each child you claimed in 2007 -- My mom works for the IRS.

That is a heck of a deal you got - the milage is unbelievable for that year. I have a 98 Plymouth Grand Voyager and it has like 160,000 miles on it!

Unknown said...

Little embarrassed to admit this (though why start with the embarrassment now, I don't know?), but since we have no tax liability (lots of kids, little income), we're only getting $600 as a couple filing jointly, then $300 for each kid. So, $1200. According to this, anyway http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/incometaxandtheirs/a/irsonrebate.htm

But I'd take an extra $600 if they threw it my way!

Super Heather - aka Mom said...

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179164,00.html

check out this website from the IRS with scenarios. It looks like they look @ your liability prior to any child tax credit.

I don't know -- now I am confused. I am going to have to call my Mom tonight to figure this out.

Unknown said...

Huh. Well, maybe then??? We got back everything we paid in (and then some?), but we are sounding like scenario #5 on that site otherwise, so maybe... I'd be thrilled to get back more!

Li loves David said...

Good job!

When I saw the photo, I was convinced you were going to say that you splurged on a new van. Did you buy it from some "little old lady who only drove it on Sundays"?

Enjoy your new ride!

Unknown said...

That's it exactly, Li! If you look really close at the picture, you can even see the handicap handle they added next to the passenger door (which I will totally use when I'm huge pregnant). The elderly couple ended up needing a fully handicapped-accessible van, and this one was just too old to convert.

Tracy Vogel said...

Great find!

And congrats on your reason for needing a van!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin