Friday, February 1, 2008

How Expensive is Meat?

My awesome and vegetarian friend Jennifer recently asked, "So, is meat really that expensive?"

Hm. Good question.

I bought groceries last night for the week. And then I evaluated what I had bought. And here's the breakdown.

Junk
Pop and sweets and all of my 100-calorie packs of evil
$9.03

Cats
Food, litter, litter bags - Hi, most expensive category much?
$13.62

Fruit and Vegetables
Apples, pears, cataloupe, celery, raisins, mandarin oranges
$7.65

Dairy
Milk, cheese, evaporated milk, condensed milk, butter - Yikes! We might eat a little more dairy than the normal family. Cheese is an easy, gluten-free snack so we use a lot of it.
$11.92

Grains
Cereal, corn muffin mix - We use a lot a lot a lot of rice, but we didn't need to buy any this time.
$4.98

Nuts/Beans
Peanut butter and beans, basically non-meat protein sources - We're also all stocked up on lentils and quinoa, which will appear in the menu if not on the shopping list.
$3.24

Meat
Bacon, a whole chicken, sandwich meat, hot dogs, bulk sausage.
$11.93

So, there you have it. I don't know how much this exactly tells you, except that if we were vegan, we'd starve to death.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Maybe this tells you its time to eat the cats? ;)

Bwaa ha ha!

So it is expensive. I never knew. I was too busy moaning over the cost of red peppers.

Tenille said...

I totally almost made a joke about "repurposing" the cats, but thought it might be too distasteful. Glad you made it for me, ha ha! ;)

huddtoo said...

LOL about the cats, Jen!!

Interesting T. I tend to think the fresh fruits/veggies are my most costly. Unless I went with all bananas! ;) I LOVE green (well, red, orange, yellow, but green's my fave) peppers too J, but they do cost a lot!

Meat can be expensive depending on what you get. Does fish count? We eat a lot of fish here. I got just over a lb of haddock yesterday, it was $7.99 a lb (and that was on sale). So fish is even more costly, but good for you. We do chicken a lot, it's the "chipper" choice. hehe I'm so funny! ;) And again, not bad for you. You can stretch meats in soups and things, so it's all in what you do with it.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,酒店,

Blog Widget by LinkWithin