Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Finding Money

I did it. Today I completed the necessary forms to stop my voluntary contributions to my retirement account. My company automatically puts in 6% of my salary (not OUT of my salary, they pay for it), and that's going to have to be good enough for awhile. For *now*.

I also completed everything to cut our life insurance amounts in half. Which may mean that if one of us dies soon, the other may not be able to keep the house or whatever. But whatever. Better than losing the house now. Okay, that's a tad dramatic.

We're also going to change SuperDad's student loan repayment schedule to a graduated schedule, meaning we'll pay less now and it will increase over time.

All of these moves are long-term financially stupid. I get that. But they make sense short-term. We're going to use this money to pay down our debt, in addition to whatever we can scrounge up every month, which I really doubt will be much. We're living on the edge here. (Oh the crush I used to have on Edward Furlong, no?)

So there it is.

Dinner update: Tater tot casserole. A favorite of SuperDad's. We have a recipe for gluten-free cream of whatever soup, but I didn't have the ingredients for it, so the kids got hamburger, tater tots, and green beans. (By the way, I usually make it with corn, but we ate the corn last night.)

2 comments:

El Chingon! said...

HEY!!! You dont know me, but I am the weird guy that keeps sending you messages to PUBLISH YOUR BLOGS!!! Look, your writing is good. Use it!!! If you are interested in furthering this, contact me at azeller1979@yahoo.com

My name is Adam Zeller, I live in Phoenix, Arizona, and I am not a weirdo or anything, just a guy who sees something with a lot of potential. Please contact me if you are interested.

zdoodlebub said...

I admire your courage to be honest about your finances. I'm a new poster and a new blogger. My reasons for starting are like most everyone - creative outlet, self-expression, bladdity blah. One thing I've pondered is how real I'm going to be about our finances (bad decisions that haunt us 10 years later). I'm not there yet. Maybe someday. I look forward to reading about your journey.

And how about that compliment from el chingon? Go you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin